Yesterday I got to play with something I haven’t seen before. I hope it’s rare and that it’s never seen again, but I wrote down my resolution steps just in case. Note that there is not much (if anything) on the internet for this problem.
I tried many combinations, most of them with less chance of destruction. This is the method that worked.
– – – – – – – – – – – – –
Issue: When trying to upgrade the View Agent on a VDI master desktop, the below symptoms are observed.
The Composer agent is still running, and the service is still started (Even after successful uninstallation):
- Clone VM to have a backup
- Start machine
- Uninstall VMware (Horizon) View Agent
- Attempt to install new View Agent
- Get messages depicted in the Symptoms section
- Verify that the agent was successfully removed:
- Disable the composer service and reboot
- Open an administrative command prompt
- Manually remove composer service
Remove dependencies to View Composer Agent from core windows components.
Exit the registry editor and reboot machine.